Stella’s Place is currently reaching out to young people (age 16-29) who live in the Jane and Finch Community and who are interested in receiving FREE mental health training.
• Be 16-29’ish years old
• Have lived experience of a mental health challenge (no diagnosis needed)
• Attend all eight training sessions. This program is a commitment, we ask that you only apply if you are able to commit to attending all sessions. That said, we are reasonable and flexible in accommodating unforeseen absences
Training Dates and Times and Location:
• George Brown College, 341 King Street East, Room TBD
• Saturdays 10:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
• Oct 14 to Dec 2, with Graduation planned for Dec 9.
• ASIST Training – Time TBD
• Please note: Training times are subject to change.
About Stella’s Place Peer Support Training Program:
Offered in partnership with George Brown College, the Stella’s Place Peer Support Training Program (PSTP) is a fun, engaging and hands-on learning experience that will prepare you to support others personally and professionally. We believe that lived experience makes you an expert—our job is to provide the framework to bring forth this expertise. To do this, we will explore the Peer Support Role while helping the participant develop a wide range of skills, including: strength-based feedback, advanced listening skills, rapport building, crisis intervention, effective validation, self-care, intentional sharing and more. We will also be offering the extremely valuable two-day ASIST suicide intervention course absolutely free of cost. Upon completion of the PSTP, you will receive an official certificate from Stella’s Place and George Brown College. On top of all that, throughout the training tokens will be provided and lunch and light refreshments will be served. We at Stella’s Place don’t feel the PSTP is just a training program, we like to call it a learning experience.
If you are interested in participating in this learning experience, please email Asante Haughton at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please email by Wednesday October 11, 2017.